Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

I have just returned from Ash Wednesday mass, since I didn't have to sub today and will not be able to go tonight due to Sylvan. I have decided that I am not going to give anything up this Lent because I always go right back to doing what I gave up as soon as Easter is over. In years past, I have tried to give up chocolate (which worked for a little while until a chocolate cake was served at my cousins birthday party). I have tried to give up soda, not that I drink that much to start with, but I like the carbonation every once in a while. I have even tried to give up swearing. And while I will admit that I have cut down quite a bit, there is still the dumb driver out there that will cause a naughty word to come out of my mouth.
This Lent I have decided that I am going to try to strengthen my relationship with God. Fr. Mike said at mass today that wearing just the ashes is not good enough if your heart is empty. So, I am going to try to read something from the bible every day and reflect on it. This is something i hope to continue once Lent is over. I am hoping that by surrendering more to God, it will improve my life and make me a more giving person.

2 comments:

Mommy Petersen said...

Have you read The Purpose Driven Life? A friend and I are reading it over Lent. It's set up for 40 days, 1 chapter a day. We'll see how it goes but I've heard good things about it. If you want to we could have a book club over email :)

Sara said...

No, I haven't read it, but it sounds good. I am going to see if I can find it at the library. The e-mail book club would be a great idea.