Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Death and Taxes

Those are the only things that we can count on in life. And right now I am not happy about that. We decided to have our taxes prepared again this year, by H&R Block. All was going well, until we got to the IRA contributions. Turns out they were entered wrong last year, giving us a credit that we should not have gotten. So, H&R is doing an amended tax return from last year, for free since their guy screwed up. (Which doesn't surprise me after the trouble the guy had last year. which is why we specifically asked for someone else this year.) H&R will also cover any interest or penalties that occurred because of the error, but we still have to pay the back tax. And, as if that weren't bad enough, we are probably going to owe the feds quite a bit this year again-mostly due to my unemployment and the fact that they are not taking enough taxes out of our paychecks. Needless to say we have changed our exemptions so that will not happen again for 2007. So, we go back in on Saturday to find out exactly what our damage is to the government. I am sure that it will not be good since that seems to be how our life is going right now. I just hope that someone in a higher power grants me a much needed full time job for the 07-08 school year. If that could happen, things will slowly get better.
There is a piece of good news though. I only have 2 more payments on my truck and then it is mine. And we will have that extra money each month. Yeah, we will finally own something!!

No comments: