Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

I have fulfilled part of my Catholic duty today-I just got back from Ash Wednesday mass.  I figured since I wasn't subbing and would be at Sylvan during the evening mass I would go this afternoon.
Usually people talk about what they are going to "give up" for Lent.  I have tried that, but since I go right back to it after Easter, what am I really learning??  This year I have decided not to give anything up, but do things differently and find ways to add more God in my life.  I am going to try to be nicer to those around me and not get so annoyed at the little things.  (Ask Brian, this can happen quite a bit)  So, starting today I am not going to get annoyed at small things that don't really matter.
The second part of my Lenten plan is to add more prayer into my day.  I will try to find time, even if it is driving somewhere, to thank God for all the good in my life and ask for guidance where I need it the most.  I tried to pray before I went to bed every night, but the more tired I was from the day, I realized this didn't work.  And I know that I may not always make it in the morning, depending on how I wake up (on my own or by the phone).  Therefore, I have made it open.  Whenever I find that I have a few extra moments or need the most help getting through the day, that is when I will stop to have my conversation with God.
I am hoping that by choosing not to give something up this season, but change a lifestyle, that this is something I will be able to continue after Easter as well.  
I mean only good things could come from being a nicer person who has a stronger relationship with God, right?!

On to the other part of my Catholic duty-fasting and no meat.  So far so good.  I have only had breakfast-cereal-and it is already 1:30.  I will need to eat something more substantial before Sylvan, but nothing big.  Then it will be fish for dinner.
I think I am off to a good start this Lent.  Happy fasting to all you Christians out there!!

No comments: