Thursday, December 04, 2008

Recess Duty

Up until today, I have had recess duty for the past 6 days that I have subbed.  As a teacher, I know how precious those recesses are, both to students and teachers.  And being a sub, I don't mind covering the required recess duty so the teachers can get a much needed break.  But every day was starting to get a bit much.  I would leave in the morning with my boots and winter gear prepared for duty.   And sure enough, but the time I read through the plans, I would see I HAVE RECESS DUTY written there.
I usually don't mind recess duty-when the sun is shining and there is no snow on the ground.  6 days of recess duty is a little much when there are so many layers required to just go outside.  And then with the snow, there is a little extra watching required to make sure that there are no snowballs being made or thrown and that everyone is playing safely in the snow.  And again, if the sun is shining I typically don't mind that much.  However, lately it seems that the wind has been pretty strong on my duty days.
I am beginning to wonder if teachers schedule conferences and necessary meetings on days that they know the will have duty, just to make the sub suffer!!
Luckily today was 5th grade at the intermediate school, so I had a pretty good feeling when I left this morning that there would be no recess duty in my future today.  I was right and was able to stay inside and warm all day long!!!

No comments: