Monday, October 06, 2008

Teacher Perceiver Interview

For all of you teachers out there, you know exactly what I am talking about.  For those of you that are not teachers, the Perceiver interview is about 60 questions on your teaching style, teaching philosophy, interpreting situations, and how you would handle different situations.  Not all school districts ask for them, and this is actually the first one I have done since college (which was just a practice one)
Overall, I think the interview went fine.  It was done over the phone, so I really couldn't see reactions.  And it was done at 9pm, after I had subbed all day and put in 4 hours at Sylvan.  My brain was a little fried, but the administer knew all that was going on in my day and still wanted to give the interview at 9pm.
I answered from my heart and a little of what I think they want to hear.  (Who doesn't answer interview questions that way, either in person or on the phone?!?!)  After the interview, which took about 45 minutes, he was able to tell me some things that her "perceived" about me, based on my answers.  I would have to say he did pretty well.  He was able to perceive that I was a good listener and knew that there was more to listening then just listening.  He also picked up on that fact that I am a focused person, based on the fact that I have wanted to teach since childhood and have done things in life to reach those goals.  He did say that my mission was a little messed up, based on the fact that I didn't think that teachers were more important than doctors.  I think that they are equally important, but for all you teachers out there, teaching is the most important job in the world.  Remember that for future interviews.  He did think that I had the right mission, he said there were just other pieces floating in and out.
He was going to call the school principal as soon as we got off the phone and let him know what was perceived and then the ball was in his court.  Well, that was Thursday and I am still waiting to hear.  

I had a dream last night that the principal called and offered me the job, without an interview.  After all, I spent most of the year there last year, what else does he need to know about me.  So here I sit waiting, but not by the phone-don't want to seem too desperate.  Hopefully something good will happen, but for now it is out of my hands.

No comments: