Thursday, October 25, 2007

Earning money

Okay, so I have been really busy this month between subbing and Sylvan. I have been doing a long term subbing position for a paraprofessional in a Flex Kindergarten situation. I have been there for a month and am not sure how much longer it will last. Part of me, specifically my shins, are hoping that it is over soon.
I guess I better explain. My job is to follow, drag this kindergarten to his classes and make sure he is on task and safe. I am not exactly sure what his special need is, but I think he is a combination between ADHD and Autism, with some other issues mixed in. Nothing has been diagnosed yet, but slowly getting there. So, when something doesn't go his way, he throws a fit and sometimes kicks and hits. It usually doesn't last long, just needs a distraction and other times it does last a while. I have learned to dodge the kicks that I sense coming, but it is the ones I don't' that really hurt-especially when they hit the bone. So I have war wounds from my job and the pay is not really compensation enough, but it has increased since this is long term and I am starting to do better with this boy.
I guess I will stay. Originally I was told this would be till the end of the month, so I figured I could handle it that long. Now I am hearing that no one really knows when this lady is coming back-some sort of medical reason she is out. I know that I shouldn't be complaining because it is one more steady paycheck coming in, but at the same time it the pay worth the abuse.
My answer is no, but it is also not fair to this 5 year old to have a bunch of different people with him all the time. So, I am going to stick with it as long as I am needed.
The up side is that I am getting to know people in the school, including the principal, so this could be an in for next year if something opens up. I will keep my fingers crossed for that one.

No comments: