Monday, October 08, 2007

and frogs

Yes, I said frogs. I opened the breezeway door and was getting ready to head out the front door to get the Sunday paper when I noticed something greenish brown sitting on the floor between my shoes. I closed the breezeway door (I went back to the safety of the kitchen) and decided to keep an eye on this guy until Brian woke up. The Sunday paper would just have to wait.
10 minutes later when Brian came into the living room, I told him there was good news and bad news. The good news-we have a paper today (since we are only on weekend delivery this is sometimes a problem) The bad news-there is a frog in the breezeway. We then discussed ways to get him out of the house. The simplest was to go around to the front door and pull him out with a broom or something, hoping that he didn't hop all over the place. I told Brian to go for it. His response, "Why do I have to do it?" My response, "I kill all the other bugs in this house, you can deal with the frog."
Once he got around to the breezeway, he thought for sure I was smoking something because there was no sign of a frog. He moved the shoes he was between and even tapped the shelves and walked around, but nothing. I told him there was definitely a frog, maybe he was in my shoe. First shoe, nothing. Second shoe, out he hopped(fell) on his back and was "helped" outside by Brian.
Now, don't go calling PETA on us. The frog was still alive as he landed on the sidewalk outside. And when checked on a few moments later, he was frolicking (Brian's word) in the leaves by the front steps. There were no frogs harmed in this story.

The real question: How did the frog get in the breezeway?? There are 2 theories. 1. He hopped in while we were taking our time getting out the front door on Saturday night. It was dark, so it is entirely possible. 2. Someone put the frog in our mail slot during the night. It was homecoming in the area, so a neighborhood child certainly could have done it. I guess we will never know how he got it, but I am glad he got out.

No comments: