Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Punxsutawney Phil v. Green Bay Betty

So, who do I believe? Phil, who didn't see is shadow and is predicting and early spring. Or Betty, who saw her shadow and is predicting 6 more weeks of winter.
Granted they both ultimately mean the same thing, shadow=6 more weeks of winter, no shadow=6 more weeks until spring. I guess it is all in your mind. With much of Wisconsin being buried by Snowstorm Connor, I am sure that an early spring is sounding great to everyone!!
I am not sure what I prefer. I like the snow, even though I don't do any winter sport. I think it looks pretty on the lawn (before any animal footprints get to it), and on the branches of the trees. I also like the way it sparkles in the sunlight. I don't even mind a few new flurries every once in a while because it covers up the dirty snow by the side of the roads. On the other hand, spring is nice too. You get to wear less clothes (or at least ones that are not so heavy), the days get longer (which means I can come home from Sylvan in the light!), and you actually WANT to go outside.
I don't mind the shoveling, or even the snow blowing, as long as I am not on a schedule to get it done. I also like the planting and preparing the yard for spring.
I guess it doesn't matter to me when spring gets here, as long as it gets here. I do know that I am not looking forward to the melting of all this snow. Hopefully it does not happen all at once!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shadow = 6 more weeks of winter
No Shadow = Winter ends early... I believe that is what you mean... correct?

Sara said...

I've always heard it was 6 weeks, no matter what happened with the shadow. I could be wrong.

Anonymous said...

The reason a shadow means six more weeks of winter is because the groundhog is scared and runs back to his hole. When he doesn't see his shadow he believes it must be spring and therefore can come out. Otherwise, this legend would have no meaning.