Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Why do I do this to myself???

So, last Saturday was the Kaukauna city-wide rummage sale. They hold 2 a year and we usually participate in one of them to see what kind of money we can bring in. How many years will it take me to learn that it is really not worth it?!?!
On Friday, Brian came home early and got the garage cleaned out and the tables (which we have o borrow from my parents) set up for me, while I was subbing. Then we brought out the tubs that hold our "junk" and organized it on all the tables. We had to go out and buy more price tags, and later that night spent more time in the garage pricing things that had been neglected.
On Saturday, Brian's parents came over at 7am (the sale started at 8) to drop off the stuff that they wanted to try to sell. They had a lot more then I thought (and Brian never asked them what they would be bringing, like I asked him to do twice!!!), so that took quite a bit of time in the morning.
Luckily the rain held off, but it was a cold day. Despite the fact that is was a city wide rummage sale and the lady down the street was also having a sale, we only made $12.50. We had lots of people stop by and look, but nothing tripped their trigger. I know it couldn't have totally been the prices, because most things were priced at $.25. Our big goal was not to make a ton of money, but to get rid of the stuff.
Everything that didn't sell, and that we didn't want to store until next year, was kindly picked up by Easter Seals yesterday.
So, we still have some stuff that I just can't GIVE away, stored in the basement until the next time we decide to participate in the city wide. I am thinking that may be a while. It takes so much effort to set up and take down things. Then there is the day wasted just sitting outside mostly watching cars drive by, hoping they would stop and take some of these things off our hands.
In the end, each rummage sale leaves me asking myself "Why do I continue to do this for the little that we make?" And I also know that sometime in the future, I will put myself through all this again :)

No comments: