Wednesday, August 11, 2010

National S'more Day

Yesterday was National S'more Day.

Now, I am not one who usually celebrates days like these, but since our backyard has a fire pit (which looks more like a tiny pond this morning), I decided that this was one day worth celebrating. I read in the paper last week about this day and the different variations that the S'more can now have. I thought that it would be great reason to have some friends over and do a bonfire.
Brian decided that with the newly seeded lawn spots, he didn't want to have the friends (with children) over because they like to run around the yard and that could get messy. Okay, so it would just be the 2 of us around the campfire. Well, when I was watching the weather yesterday morning and saw the big green word HUMID across the whole week I figured that it might just be too hot to sit around the campfire. (And Brian does not handle humidity well, so I knew the grill was out as an option)

Now, I wasn't going to let a little humidity stop me from celebrating-especially when chocolate was involved!!!! So we did S'mores in the microwave-something neither of us had tried before. I must say there are pros and cons to this "new" way of making a S'more. Pros-the chocolate melted better when it hit the marshmallow. Cons-due to the melting, it was messier; the marshmallow didn't have that crisp crunch that it gets from being lightly flame kissed; it didn't have the same taste as a marshmallow toasted over the fire.
So, is this a way that I will be using again? You bet!!!! However, I still prefer the old fashioned way of toasting a marshmallow over the open flame of the campfire. And I still have all those variations that I am dying to try. (Using white chocolate, a fudge stripes cookie instead of a graham cracker) Guess I will have to wait for the grass to grow and the weather to cool off a bit before trying my new S'mores recipes!!!

2 comments:

Mommy Petersen said...

Love it!
A friend and I tried Smores toasted over tealights in a hotel room once. That didn't work so well. (And we hadn't even been drinking...at least not that I remember...)

Sara said...

We did marshmallows over a candle at Intercollegiate retreat one year. The plastic silverware was not a good choice, but the coat hangers worked really well!!!